Prescribed Medications treat the symptoms of mental disorders. Medications cannot cure mental health issues or disorders, however they can restore balance and quality of life to a patient.
It is important to note that medications perform differently for each individual person. For this reason, a treatment and medication plan is developed for each individual.
Treatment results and experiences are as individual as people. Some people get immediate effective results from medications and only need them for a short time. For example, a person with depression may feel much better after taking a medication for a few months, and may never need it again. Other patients may need to take medication for a much longer period of time.
It is not uncommon during a patient’s treatment plan to try several medications over time in order to achieve optimum results.
Factors that influence medication effectiveness
- Type of mental disorder, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia
- Age, sex, and body size
- Physical illnesses
- Habits like smoking and drinking
- Liver and kidney functioning
- Other medications and herbal/vitamin supplement
- Whether medications are taken as prescribed.